World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Shaarei Tfiloh Synagogue

Article Id: WHEBN0021439722
Reproduction Date:

Title: Shaarei Tfiloh Synagogue  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject:
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Shaarei Tfiloh Synagogue

Shaarei Tfiloh Synagogue
Shaarei Tfiloh Synagogue, March 2012
Location 2001 Liberty Heights Ave., Baltimore, Maryland
Coordinates

39°19′11″N 76°39′4″W / 39.31972°N 76.65111°W / 39.31972; -76.65111Coordinates: 39°19′11″N 76°39′4″W / 39.31972°N 76.65111°W / 39.31972; -76.65111

Built 1921
Architect Russell, Stanislaus
Architectural style Classical Revival
Governing body Private
NRHP Reference # 96001085
Added to NRHP October 10, 1996

Shaarei Tfiloh Synagogue is a historic synagogue located on Druid Hill Park at Baltimore, Maryland, United States. The synagogue is significant due to its association with the immigration of Russian and Eastern European Jews to Baltimore. It is a rock-faced stone structure with large arched stained glass windows and a pedimented roofline surmounted by a central copper-clad dome. Its name means Gates of Prayer in Hebrew. Constructed from 1921 and 1927, it cost $285,000, and is one of the oldest functioning synagogue buildings in Maryland. It holds 700 men and 300 women.[1]

At the time the synagogue was built, the surrounding "Park Circle" area was a thriving Jewish community. However, the Jewish community moved away from the neighborhood during the 1960s, primarily to Upper Park Heights, Randallstown, Pikesville, and Owings Mills. Eventually the synagogue ceased regular Sabbath (Saturday) services and only conducted services on the Jewish High Holy Days.


Beginning in the mid-2000s, the synagogue started conducting one "weekday" service a week, on Sunday mornings, in an effort to re-invigorate it, although Sabbath services are still not conducted. The synagogue is also occasionally used for special events (such as weddings) and as a location for "period" photography.

The Shaarei Tfiloh Congregation Cemetery is located on 5800 Windsor Mill Road.[2]

Shaarei Tfiloh Synagogue was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. It appeared in the 1999 movie Liberty Heights. As of 2011 Howard Perlow and David Cordish are co-presidents and David E. Herman is the rabbi. As has been the case since its founding, the synagogue conforms to Orthodox teachings and practices, but welcomes all as worshipers and members, regardless of personal affiliation.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.