World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Benjamin Church House (Shorewood, Wisconsin)

Article Id: WHEBN0007087358
Reproduction Date:

Title: Benjamin Church House (Shorewood, Wisconsin)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: National Register of Historic Places listings in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, Shorewood, Wisconsin, List of people from Milwaukee
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Benjamin Church House (Shorewood, Wisconsin)

Benjamin Church House
Benjamin Church House in Estabrook Park
Location Parkway Dr., Estabrook Park
Shorewood, Wisconsin
Built 1843-1844
Architectural style Greek Revival
Governing body Milwaukee County Historical Society
NRHP Reference # 72000059
Added to NRHP February 23, 1972

The Benjamin Church House (also known as Kilbourntown House), a wood and brick residence, was built during 1843–1844 by a pioneer carpenter of that name in Kilbourntown, a settlement on the west side of the Milwaukee River in southeast Wisconsin, United States. In 1846, Kilbourntown merged with Juneautown on the east side of the river and Walker's Point to the south to create Milwaukee, today the largest city in Wisconsin.

The house, located on Fourth Street between West Cherry and West Galena Streets, was constructed in Greek Revival style architecture with four front columns and symmetry of floor plan. This style was also known as Greek temple or national style.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Rescue and Restoration 2
  • Today 3
  • References 4
  • External links 5

History

The structure was for four decades the family home of Benjamin F. Church, his wife Permilia, and their children including Ann Maria known as Hannah, Ann Augusta known as Anna, Charles, John and Susan. Benjamin, a native of Ulster County, New York, arrived in early Milwaukee on November 15, 1835, and later was a member of the Old Settlers Club. In addition to his carpentry and construction business, Benjamin held a number of local offices. Permilia was born in New Hampshire.

In 1884, the house was sold to George Binzel, a bookkeeper who eventually was assistant secretary of the Valentin Blatz Brewing Company. George was one of several Binzel brothers who came to southeast Wisconsin from Germany. In 1900, George, his wife Rosa, daughter Louise and sons Paul, Albert and Clarence lived in the house. The address in this period was 501 Fourth.

The Binzel family sold the house and moved away on August 10, 1922. Due to financial difficulties on the part of those who purchased the house, the structure eventually went to the city for payment of taxes.

Rescue and Restoration

The house in its original location

In the 1930s, the house was recognized as having historical value worthy of rescue for future generations to enjoy. Local Cream City brick and hand-hewn timbers were among its distinctive features.

On July 20, 1936, the house was measured through the Historic American Buildings Survey. On August 21, 1936, architectural drawings of the house were prepared. At that time, due to a city renumbering project, the address of the house was 1533 North Fourth Street, Milwaukee. HABS documents state that the house was then owned by Louise Binzel.

Through the Works Progress Administration or WPA, the house was restored and moved in 1938 to Estabrook Park in Shorewood, Wisconsin, north of Milwaukee. Furnishings from the 19th century were provided by the Colonial Dames of America.

In 1972, the Benjamin Church House was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

Today

The Church house, also known as the Kilbourntown House, is maintained today by the Milwaukee County Historical Society. It is open to the public on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturdays and Sundays during June, July and August, with docent tours provided.

References

  • Benjamin Church (1807–1887) Biographical Sketch, Federal Writer's Project (Wis.), 1935–1942, Wisconsin Historical Society Record 16372
  • Historical American Buildings Survey, Drawings and Data Pages, 1936.
  • “Pageant Stirs Her Criticism,” Milwaukee Journal, Sept. 17, 1939

External links

  • Kilbourntown House - Milwaukee County Historical Society
  • Contemporary photo of the Benjamin Church House in Estabrook Park
  • 1938 Photo of the Benjamin Church House, when it was relocated
  • Benjamin Church House in Historic American Buildings Survey
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.