World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Elkhorn Ranch

Article Id: WHEBN0026811629
Reproduction Date:

Title: Elkhorn Ranch  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bureau of Corporations, Roosevelt River, James Stephens Bulloch, Roosevelt Room, Federal Meat Inspection Act
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Elkhorn Ranch

The Elkhorn Ranch was established by Theodore Roosevelt on the banks of the Little Missouri River 35 miles north of Medora, North Dakota in the summer of 1884. Roosevelt hired Bill Sewall and Wilmot Dow, two Maine woodsmen, to run the ranch. Sewall and Dow built the ranch house, "a long, low house of logs," in the winter of 1884–1885.

The Elkhorn Ranch was Theodore Roosevelt's "main ranch", and his preferred ranch house because it was larger and more private than his Maltese Cross Ranch, established in 1883. Roosevelt particularly enjoyed sitting in the veranda in a rocking chair, reading in the shade of the cottonwood trees. His enjoyment is evident in his books, "Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail," "Hunting Trips of a Ranchman," and "The Wilderness Hunter."

In the spring of 1886, thieves stole Roosevelt's boat from the Elkhorn Ranch. Hastily, Sewall and Dow built a raft and all three set off downriver to catch the thieves. When they did, Roosevelt kept watch over the three thieves with a shotgun and marched them overland to Dickinson, North Dakota, where he collected a $50 reward.

Roosevelt quit the ranch in 1887 after losing 60% of his stock in the starvation winter of 1886–1887, and returned only a handful of times to the badlands after that. He kept a small share of the cattle until 1898 at the outset of the Spanish–American War.

Theodore Roosevelt's writing desk from the Elkhorn Ranch is on display at Theodore Roosevelt National Park. The Elkhorn Ranch Site itself is protected as a unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

External links


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.