World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Wushe incident

Wushe incident

A photo taken by the Japanese authorities in the aftermath of the Incident.
Date October 27 - December 1930
Location Taiwan
Result Japanese victory
Tkdaya[1]  Empire of Japan
Truku[1] (Taroko)
Commanders and leaders
Mona Rudao  Eizo Ishizuka
~1,200 ~2,000
Casualties and losses
644 killed[1] ~134 killed and 215 wounded on the October 27th attack[1]
Military casualties unknown.

The Wushe incident or Musha incident (Japanese: and Chinese: 霧社事件 Hepburn: Musha Jiken, pinyin: Wùshè Shìjiàn; Wade–Giles: Wu4-she4 Shih4-chien4; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Bū-siā Sū-kiāⁿ), also known as the Wushe Rebellion and several other similar names, began in October 1930 and was the last major uprising against colonial Japanese forces in Taiwan. In response to long-term oppression by Japanese authorities, the Seediq indigenous group in Wushe (Musha) attacked the village, killing over 130 Japanese. In response, the Japanese led a relentless counter-attack, killing over 600 Seediq in retaliation. The handling of the incident by the Japanese authorities was strongly criticised, leading to many changes in aboriginal policy.


  • Background 1
    • Proximal causes 1.1
  • Incident 2
  • Consequences 3
  • In the media 4
  • See also 5
  • References 6


Armed resistance to Japanese imperial authority had been dealt with harshly, as evident in the responses to previous uprisings such as the

  1. ^ a b c d
  2. ^
  3. ^
  4. ^ Roy 2003, p. 49
  5. ^ Roy 2003, p. 51
  6. ^
  7. ^ Roy 2003, p. 51
  8. ^ a b c
  9. ^
  10. ^ Hung 2000, p. 222
  11. ^ Taiwan under Japanese Rule. Showpiece of a Model Colony? Historiographical Tendencies in Narrating Colonialism. In: History Compass. 2014 (online).
  12. ^ Eric Croddy, "China's Role in the Chemical and Biological Disarmament Regimes", The Nonproliferation Review Spring 2002: 16, , accessed September 24, 2011, p. 17.
  13. ^ a b Hung 2000, p. 223
  14. ^ Roy 2003, p. 51
  15. ^
  16. ^ Ching 2000, pp. 802-804, 797
  17. ^ ed. Vinding 2004, p. 220.
  18. ^ Simon 2011, p. 28.
  19. ^
  20. ^ Taiwan under Japanese Rule. Showpiece of a Model Colony? Historiographical Tendencies in Narrating Colonialism. In: History Compass. 2014 (online).
  21. ^ Lee 2012, p. 395.


See also

The Wushe Incident has been depicted three times in movies, in 1957 in the film 青山碧血 Qing Shan bi xue,[21] in the 2003 TV drama Dana Sakura w:zh:風中緋櫻, and in the 2011 Taiwanese film Warriors of the Rainbow: Seediq Bale.

In the media

Japanese nationalist right-wingers continue to deny that the Japanese used poison gas at Wushe.[20]

In 2005 the Kuomintang displayed a massive photo of Mona Rudao at its headquarters in honor of the 60th anniversary of Taiwan's retrocession from Japan to the Republic of China.[19]

The Truku people demanded a separate status for themselves in a "name rectification" campaign. The Atayal and Seediq slammed the Truku for their name rectification.[17] Aboriginals have criticized politicians for abusing the "indigenization" movement for political gains, such as aboriginal opposition to the DPP's "rectification" by recognizing the Taroko for political reasons, with the majority of mountain townships voting for Ma Ying-jeou.[18]

During the Wushe Incident Seediq Tkdaya under Mona Rudao revolted against the Japanese while the Truku and Toda did not. The rivalry between the Seediq Tkdaya vs the Toda and Truku (Taroko) was aggravated by Wushe Incident, since the Japanese had long played them off against each other and the Japanese used Toda and Truku (Taroko) collaborators to massacre the Tkdaya. Tkdaya land was given to the Truku (Taroko) and Toda by the Japanese after the incident. The Truku had resisted and fought the Japanese before in the 1914 Truku war 太魯閣戰爭 but had since been pacified and collaborated with the Japanese in the 1930 Wushe against the Tkdaya.

Seediq people were made up of three groups: the Tkdaya (德克塔雅群), Toda (都達群), and Truku (太魯閣群).

After the Japanese surrendered to the Allied forces at the end of World War II, and Taiwan was handed over to the Chinese, the Chinese Nationalist Government gradually sought liberal redress and reconciliation policies for all the indigenous peoples, including their land claims and cultural protection.

However, the uprising did affect a change in the authorities' attitudes and approaches towards aborigines in Taiwan. Wushe had been regarded as the most "enlightened and compliant" of the aboriginal territories, and the colonial power's inability to prevent the massacre provoked a fear of similar nationalist movements starting in Taiwan, Korea, and Japan itself.[15] A change in policy was clearly needed. Ching suggests that the ideology of imperialisation (kominka) became the dominant form of colonial control; aborigines became represented as imperial subjects on equal footing with other ethnic groups in Taiwan, and were upgraded in status from "raw savages" to takasagozoku (高砂族, "tribal peoples of Taiwan"). Furthermore, Japanese education was intensified, tying Taiwanese civility to Japanese culture and loyalty to the emperor in the younger generation. In this way, the Japanese authorities were able to play the Taiwanese-Chinese and indigenous peoples against each other to encourage competing in loyalty to the colonial forces. During World War II, some fought for the Imperial Japan and wore their identity to battle zone.[16]

Due to internal and external criticism of their handling of the incident, Governor-General Kamiyama and Goto Fumio, his chief civil administrator, were forced to resign in January 1931. However, Kamiyama's replacement, Ota Masahiro, also took a harsh approach to controlling Taiwan's indigenous peoples: certain tribes were disarmed and left unprotected, giving their aboriginal enemies an opportunity to annihilate them on behalf of the Japanese administration.[14] Around 500 of the Seediq involved in the Wushe Incident surrendered and were subsequently confined to a village near Wushe. However, on April 25, 1931, indigenous groups working with the Japanese authorities attacked the village, beheading all remaining males over the age of 15. This came to be known as the "Second Wushe Incident", and Ota was recalled in March 1932.[13]

The Japanese authorities responded with unprecedentedly harsh military action. A press blackout was enforced, and Governor General Eizo Ishizuka ordered a counter-offensive of two thousand troops to be sent to Wushe, forcing the Seediq to retreat into the mountains and carry out guerrilla attacks by night. Unable to root out the Seediq despite their superior numbers and firepower, the Japanese faced a political need for a faster solution. Consequently, Japan's army air corps in Taiwan ordered bombing runs over Wushe to smoke out the rebels, dropping mustard gas bombs in what was allegedly the first such use of chemical warfare in Asia.[12][8] The uprising was swiftly quelled, with any remaining resistance suppressed by the third week of December 1930;[8] Mouna Rudao had committed suicide on November 28, but the uprising had continued under other leaders.[13] Of the 1,200 Seediq directly involved in the uprising, 644 died, 290 of which committed suicide to avoid dishonor.


On October 27, 1930, hundreds of Japanese converged on Wushe for an athletics meet at the Taiwan-Chinese Musyaji Elementary School. Shortly before dawn, Mouna Rudao led over 300 Seediq warriors in a raid of strategic police sub-stations to capture weapons and ammunition. They then moved on the elementary school, concentrating their attack on the Japanese in attendance. A total of 134 Japanese, including women and children, were killed in the attack. Two Han Taiwanese dressed in Japanese clothing were also mistakenly killed,[9] one of whom was a girl wearing a Japanese kimono.[10] The Aboriginals aimed to only kill Japanese specifically.[11]

Beheaded Seediq
Mikata-Ban, a force of pro-Japanese aborigines.
Commander and staff of the Musha Punitive force.


In the days immediately prior to the incident, chief Mouna Rudao held a traditional wedding banquet for his son Daho Mona, during which animals were slaughtered and wine was prepared and drunk. A Japanese police officer named Katsuhiko Yoshimura was on patrol in the area, and was offered a cup of wine by Daho Mouna as a symbolic gesture. The officer refused, saying that Daho Mouna's hands were soiled with blood from the slaughtered animals. Daho Mouna attempted to take hold of the officer, insisting he participate, and the officer struck him with his stick. Fighting ensued, and the officer was injured. Chief Mouna Rudao attempted to apologize by presenting a flagon of wine at the officer's house, but was rejected.[8] The simmering resentment among the Seediq in Wushe was finally pushed to the limit.

The Seediq aborigines in the vicinity of Wushe had been considered by Japanese authorities to be one of the most successful examples of this "taming" approach, with Chief Mouna Rudao being one of 43 indigenous leaders selected for a tour of Japan a few years earlier.[6] However, resentment still lingered, due largely to police misconduct, the continuing practice of forced labor, and the ill treatment of indigenous beliefs and customs.[7]

Proximal causes

However, a different approach was used in order to control Taiwan's indigenous peoples. Taiwanese aborigines were still designated as "seiban" (生蛮 or 生蕃, "raw barbarians" or "wild tribespeople"), and treated as savages rather than equal subjects. Tribes were 'tamed' through assimilation, the process of disarming traditional hunting tribes and forcing them to relocate to the plains and lead an agrarian existence. Further resistance was then dealt with by military campaigns, isolation and containment.[4] In order to access natural resources in mountainous and forested indigenous-controlled areas, Governor-General Sakuma Samata adopted a more aggressive terrain policy, attempting to pacify or eradicate aboriginal groups in areas scheduled for logging within five years; by 1915, this policy had been largely successful, although resistance still existed in more remote areas.[5]


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.